Acupressure DIY at Home:
Eyestrain or asthenopia, occurs when your eyes become fatigued and overworked from monotonous visual activities and tasks such as computer use, reading, or excessive smartphone usage.
Symptoms of eyestrain can include eye fatigue, burning and pain of the eyes, blurry vision, watery or dry eyes, light sensitivity and even headache.
Although eyestrain generally is not serious and usually resolves itself after rest, it can sometimes indicate a more serious underlying eye condition that will need to be assessed and treated.
Some tips to help avoid and reduce eyestrain:
- Take frequent breaks. It is advised to take a 1-3 minute eye break for every 30 minutes of use.
- Adjust the brightness setting on your display.
- Use proper lighting.
- Do eye exercises. Look far away for 15 seconds and look at an object closer for 15 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Blink more often to refresh your eyes.
- Do acupressure eye massages.
Disclaimer: This information is intended as a patient education resource only and should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem as it is not a substitute for expert professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, please consult with your primary care physician.
Try Massaging the Acupressure Points Below to Help Alleviate Eyestrain:
- Taiyang : This point is located in the region of the temples, in the depresison about 1 finger breadth posterior to the midpoint between the outer canthus and the lateral end of the eyebrow.
- UB 2 (Zan Zhu) : This point is located on the medial end of the eyebrow, directly above the inner canthus of the eye.
- ST 2 (Si Bai) : When the patient is looking directly forward, this point is located directly below the pupil, in the depression at the infraorbital foramen.
(See pics below)
These Acupressure points should be stimulated with moderate pressure and should be stimulated frequently throughout the day! Stimulate each point with your thumb and/or index finger for at least a minute before moving on to the next point!